Reply To: How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted

Home Forums General discussion How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted Reply To: How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted

Hi Harry/Horatiog2015

I feel I would be able to help little as I am actually in a very similar position (although not quite in the north of Scotland – lucky you!)

After your E10 meter is fitted in theory I believe it should go ‘live’ very soon (possibly within a few hours or at most, days) and it is at this point that you are able to migrate to another supplier (it is the process leading up to this point that takes a significant time for some people – ie. those who haven’t really had an E10 meter). This is the case with EDF, who are installing my meter, although I would suggest you call SSE and ask at what point your meter will be live after installation – and fully switched to/provided by ‘Economy 10’. As long as this is complete you are free to begin the switch. This is what I been told by EDF, but having re-read your post I am not fully sure if this counts as ‘appearing on the national database’ – perhaps others with more knowledge on this can clarify (such as ‘Angie’ – who in an earlier post appeared to describe a similar experience to yours).

I don’t see that you have anything to lose in attempting to begin the process a few days after the meter is installed – this is what I plan to do – surely the worst that can happen is that the new company will say it is not yet registered as a valid meter type on the national database – and you (we) simply wait until it appears.

I would suggest that in all interactions with companies phone is the most effective option. Perhaps it would be worth making 100% sure that your preferred or cheapest company is unable to supply you through somehow getting through to a real person and asking them directly (it is also sometimes worth not taking the first answer, asking them to double check with a supervisor/floor-support team – as has been the case with me and Scottish Power. I believe the best option may be to be honest and direct about the fact your meter is Economy 10 but to specify that you are asking if they will supply an economy 7 tariff to that meter type. I haven’t attempted to complete the process via an online switching site but am sure it would be interesting to see if anyone has had any success this way. So I am not suggesting a total ‘blag’ (just in case it might come back to bite you/us) but to first confirm with whichever company that they are actually willing to supply you before switching. If you then attempted to complete the process using a comparison/switching site I for one would be keen to know the result. (I have wondered how effective it would be to simply select the best available ‘economy 7’ without telling them and just see if it goes through – but am not endorsing this!)

Just briefly on the Scottish Power tariff – I spoke to them yesterday and it has indeed passed, superseded by the December one. Interestingly it apparently was withdrawn on the 24th October but when I mentioned that I had successfully switched my neighbour AFTER this date they told me that the sales team have some ability to offer previous tariffs in certain circumstances if a customer expresses an interest. Based on this, I have been told that it may well be possible, at the point of calling (finally) to switch myself, for the sales team to offer me the same cheaper tariff. If possible this will be very convenient as that original quote would be the cheapest tariff currently offered by any company as a compatible E10 option. (If I am unable to be supplied this tariff I may well go ‘back to the drawing board’ and go which whatever is the current cheapest option from any supplier)

I would note (not specifically to you personally) that as I have something vaguely resembling a life (of sorts) I am not able or willing to check current tariffs on a daily or weekly basis and therefor it is highly probable that they change from time to time. I post here in the attempt to further the available knowledge on a rare tariff and to help others in a similar position – it would then be up to the individual to research and apply this to their own circumstances (as I did when first encountering this site – the most accurate tariff comparison was dated March 2015!) However I believe all the information I have posted previously is accurate at the time of posting and will always attempt to provide the most relevant and up-to-date information possible.

And finally on that note, if anyone else is also interested in doing something with the information and awareness we are gathering and cultivated, could we look at making more resources available to others in future based on this? Ideally it would be good to do that within this site – it is user-friendly and very helpful, but fully understandable that the creator of this website could not be expected to update it all the time as it is a voluntary cause – so much like a good spiritual leader he has pointed us gently but firmly in the right direction. I would be happy to research the current tariffs once a year and post them – even if able to email the findings to the ‘webmaster’ to be updated at his convenience – or perhaps look at providing additional information online to assist others if this doesn’t prove to be an option.

hope i’m not stepping on anyone’s toes, or worse, wearing out my welcome! And good luck Harry with your switch. Let us know how it goes – and don’t hesitate to message again if you would like any more assistance – if we’re able to provide it!

Best,
Andrew / Random Precision

——————

“come on you miner for truth and illusion – and shine” …