Reply To: How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted

Home Forums General discussion How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted Reply To: How to get a new Economy 10 meter fitted

HarryG
Participant

Hi Andrew,

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you – and thanks for such a comprehensive reply!

OK – first a quick update on my situation. I eventually have an E10 meter – hurrah. Took a long time to get SSE out to change the meter. On the appointed day, the first engineer turns up, takes one look at my installation (of which I had already sent SSE a picture) and says he can’t work on it “coz its 2-phase”. (Later proved to be wrong – he just thought it was because I have two 100A fuses to cope with my monstrous forced air system.) Second engineer rocks up, takes one look at it and says he can’t do it either – coz I need to get a Sparky to put new tails in for me. Lots of argy bargy later and I give up and get the electrician to do as SSE asked. (I eventually got a 2nd consumer unit put in – eventually, it finally turns out – just to power the relay circuit for the forced air storage heater.) Then comes the third SSE engineer visit – I get my new E10 meter! But, come my first offpeak period, no heating! Then another visit from the Sparky (supposed to be accompanied by SSE engineer who didn’t show) – and now I’ve got an E10 meter & heating – yay! All that needs done now is fix the problematic clock on the new meter, that has lost more than 12 minutes in a week!!! Apparently, all that needs doing is another SSE engineer visit to re-flash the meter with some new software.

So, been chatting to SSE about how long now before I can swap supplier. Its still a long and drawn out process. First the engineers have to send back their workcard to HQ with the new meter number on it. Then SSE update their systems. With THTC you have two MPAN numbers which is what stops all other suppliers from allowing a transfer to them. So, apparently, SSE will delete one of my MPAN numbers but maintain the other to support the E10 meter. This then goes to ECOES who maintain the national database. They then replicate the update that SSE have just down to their own system and then, and ONLY then, can I initiate a move to a new supplier. Apparently that all normally takes about 3 weeks but my SSE HQ contact is trying to fast-track my case. I don’t think, however, I am going to starting my transfer until into 2017!

BTW, I asked if I could jump the gun, but my SSE contact said it would be unwise as the transfer request can go “into the ether” for a few weeks and then come back as rejected. Which would incur a further delay in the process as a whole. However, on the positive side, SSE have said they will effectively hold my tariff at last year’s rates until the transfer has been completed – which is good!

How am I getting on with E10? Yeah – not too bad actually! Its early days yet (only been live a week) and, to be honest, as soon as my heating was tested it got switched back off again, as we are going through a particularly mild period for December up here – so I can tough it out without heating for the time being. Despite all this, I am managing to move 75% of my power usage into the offpeak periods by means of running several things off timers and slight changes in the timing of when I’m cooking, etc.(The joys of being a single batchelor!)

With regard to constantly checking the various tariffs and “having a life”, yes – I would agree. However, I further agree that if this website were to build up a big enough following, and with each of us doing these checks when their fixed tariff was coming to an end, then if everybody fed in their findings at that time, then this would probably keep everybody informed of where the best deal is at any given time? However, (and this is a biggie), I think the “best deal” also very much depends on where you are in the country. Many of the companies and their deals that people have mentioned on this site and its blogs, are just not available to me – as I am in the North Scotland region. Also, I have found out that the differentials for the same tariff, in differently supply regions, are considerably large. These differentials may also not be that consistent between each company, so a good deal for one E10 bod in one part of the UK, may not be the best deal for another person in another part of the UK. (And it looks like North Scotland is the worst region because they have to “transmit the power further to get it to us”! – Errr – has nobody heard of “Hydro-Electric”? There’s a ruddy great dam and generator not 20 miles from me!)

Anyhoo – that’s the story so far – will keep you updated with my progress. Meanwhile have a great Xmas & New Year.

Harry.