Reply To: Price survey 2017 (re. blog post)

Home Forums General discussion Price survey 2017 (re. blog post) Reply To: Price survey 2017 (re. blog post)

Also want to thank Mark for his extensive work on the cause through this website. This site has been invaluable for myself as a resource – and helped with significant savings – as a result I’ve been more than happy to contribute through Paypal as others have.

Having recently been through the switching process a couple of times, I’d like to pass on my tips for switching and saving money (this is what’s worked for me, I don’t endorse a ‘one size fits all’ approach as we all have different priorities!

Personally I would endorse going with the cheapest compatible tariff from any provider willing to supply our meter type (taking into account green credentials if relevant/important to you), regardless of whether it is a dedicated ‘economy 10’ or ‘economy 7’ tariff. I am aware that not all suppliers provide full support (ie. repairs/meter change) to economy 10 meters and that this is relevant to some – however my reasoning for this is that there is always the option to switch again (to a supplier that provides full support) should I run into any difficulties further down the line – rather than approach the current provider which may not be able to help in these instances.

The supplier I would recommend as a ‘backup switch’ in the event of such difficulties is EDF. Their economy 10 tariff may not be the cheapest but it comes without exit fees; and as such it is always possible to switch again without penalty should a customer wish to. In completing the switching process myself I first had my economy 10 meter installed (replacing my old E7 meter) by EDF through switching to their Economy 10 tariff. The easiest way to do this was to call directly and have the company talk me through the process. After this point, I simply switched again to a cheaper tariff with another company. I plan to do something similar in the event of future problems with my meter. Ethically this is an individual decision – and I am aware of the ‘grey area’ this practice occupies – but I have my reasons – and each to their own!

So – in a nutshell, this is my top tip for maximising savings with E10 while having a backup option in case of meter problems – rather than compromising and sticking with a dedicated tariff from a ‘big six’ company – which may well guarantee your meter keeps ticking, but will also charge you through the nose for the privilege. Go for E7 through a compatible supplier….and reserve the right to switch again for maintenance reasons. Whether one chooses to switch back to the cheaper tariff again after that point is entirely down to personal preference…

The best of both worlds. Hope this makes sense!

Andrew