Reply To: EDF

Home Forums SUPPLIERS EDF Reply To: EDF

Sandy6
Participant

Dear jre1uk

For an Ec10 meter what you’ve posted above looks very wrong. It’s readings you need to post NOT costs. I’ve no idea what EWE means, can you please specify.
It sounds as if you’re on some kind of triple rate meter, not dissimilar to the S3 meters (nick-named NID meters) we have on my Estate in Merseyside (only 1 of 3 places in the entire UK to have them, so very obscure.)
NID stands for how the reading appear on our statements/bills, as follows:
N = Night rates, I = Intermediate rates, and D = Day rates.
Both the N & I rates are off-peak, with the N rates the lowest cost ones, and the I rates a wee bit more than the N rates. The D rates are peak and by far the most expensive.
This meter has been restricted from at least 2008, meaning no new customers can have them. What I’ve found is that Scottish Power (the only company that has this very obscure meter) have been transposing the readings for the different rates.
In other words, SP have placed the N readings (nearly always the highest reading) under the D section, and charging the N units used at D rates (peak rates.) Conversely, they’ve charged the D units used (always the lowest used) at the lowest N rate. This ‘mistake’ massively increases a customer’s bill, especially in winter when those monster gobbler of off-peck leccy, the storage radiators, are used. I’ve managed to get rebates varying from £360 to £3,100 for various tenants on my estate (on a purely voluntary basis, for free in my own time) from Scottish Power by pointing out this mistake.

Perhaps EDF has done something similar to your billing?

It’s easy enough to check. Simply take readings (double checking that you’ve got them in the right order yourself) and check what those readings appear under on your latest bill. If EDF have been doing this to you for some time then it will show up. If EDF have only started doing it recently (assuming that they are in the first place) then it may not show up on your last bill. In which case ring them up with your latest readings and ask them to send you out a bill. It’s your right to demand an up-to-date bill at any time, so don’t be fobbed off by some operative informing you that you’ll have to wait till so-and-so date.
Once that up-to-date bill turns up, check that the readings you took are being charged for correctly. IF they have transposed your rate don’t waste any time simply ringing them up; you’ll get nowhere fast that way.
Snail mail, or email them, with your complaint and ask for this miss-billing to be corrected ASAP. Also demand statements going back as far as you’ve been with them, so you can find out when this problem actually started. I’ve learned to include photos taken on my mobile phone, clearly showing the readings, what rate (N or D, usually shown on the meter as a number next to the reading itself) and the meter’s identification number. There’s no arguing with me then that I’ve made a mistake, not with such proof as photos!

This transposing of rates is not restricted to NID meters. Not all the tenants on my estate have NID meters; many have Twin Heat A or Ec 7 ones instead. So far I’ve come across 4 power companies who’ve transposed rates on Twin Heat A/Ec 7 meters: Eon, Npower, the Co-op and Scottish Power(again!)

This transposing of rates is a lot more common than people imagine, so if I were you I’d check that EDF haven’t done this to you ASAP.

Cheers

Sandy