Price survey 2017 (re. blog post)

Home Forums General discussion Price survey 2017 (re. blog post)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi Paul, Welcome to the site:-) Those would be the three suppliers I would try, I did a quote for your usage in the central Scotland region and together energy was cheapest followed by OVO then isupply out of all the suppliers that accept e10 customers it should be similar in terms of ranking regardless of which region you are in, you can get a quote for your region on their websites just select e7 as your meter type and you would find the cheapest this way as these three suppliers use e7 rates for e10 customers and then call the one which is cheapest(saves you having to queue and give your details to all three pre signup;)) Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Hi! Excellent site by the way.
    I’m with SSE on Economy 10 tariff and my 1 year fixed deal expires 14/11/17. Finally been offered their new V13 tariff fixed 1 year []. My usage is massive ( 26618 kwhr ( 15398 / 11220 ). It’s pretty useless trying to get quotes but I think I’ll try ISupply, Together Energy & maybe OVO. Any other suggestions.
    Thanks
    Paul M

Lorraine
    Participant

It was back in September but at that time the best deal I found was with So Energy. I already had an Economy 10 meter installed, am all electric, and pay a set amount monthly direct debit. They are a new company based in London, but have good reviews. Maybe online only I think. So far very happy with ease of changeover from SSE, and no problems. One of the reasons they are cheaper is that once you agree a DD monthly amount, they charge you in advance rather than a month behind like most energy companies. They also have a deal where you can pay more in winter/less in summer. There were a couple of companies cheaper in Scotland, but I had difficulty getting through to them by phone with queries, so left well alone.

I am shopping around as i live in north west Scotland and currently pay EDF £310 per month for our E10 and i have just checked and our rates have gone up dramatically. Looking around and taking into account my area i will be calling Our Power tomorrow and hope they can supply us. It has been a nightmare finding anything about E10. Thanks your site has been a great find!

Dave
    Participant

Sorted for another year? I changed my gas supplier in May for the cheapest in the market. Looked yesterday and find I can save £130 year less £30 switch fee. ( I use E10 largely for my electric car)

AA
    Participant

Thanks for all the information on here Mark.

Michael
    Participant

Hello Sue, welcome to the site. Does your mum have a prepayment meter installed at present? And if so does she wish to keep as some suppliers don’t accept economy 10 prepay customers, if you can also confirm which electricity region you are in please this will give an idea of what your options are.

Sue

Thanks so much for this site. I haven’t read it all yet, but as aged parent has moved into a flat with Economy 10 (estate agents don’t understand it either…) I’m trying to work out the best course of action.

The supply is with SSE who have much, much cheaper prices for prepayment! Presumably due to the cap. Many years ago I worked for SSE but embarassingly had never heard of Economy 10 (it was Fx and the like in my day 🙂 ).

admin
    Keymaster

Good stuff AA! And thanks for your input as always Michael 🙂

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Maddie, glad to hear you’re getting stuck into E10, and yes please continue to raise your concerns with the ombudsman.

If you get any quotes please put them into the database via the web form on the homepage – it’s really helpful to get this info from across the country.

Cheers, Mark

admin
    Keymaster

No problem, glad it helps (and hopefully saves you money along the way!)

If you fancy buying me a beer you can always donate to the running costs of the website 😉
    http://economy10.com/donate/

Cheers! Mark

zoothoney
    Participant

Thank you for running this website and doing all this work. I owe you a beer 🙂

Also want to thank Mark for his extensive work on the cause through this website. This site has been invaluable for myself as a resource – and helped with significant savings – as a result I’ve been more than happy to contribute through Paypal as others have.

Having recently been through the switching process a couple of times, I’d like to pass on my tips for switching and saving money (this is what’s worked for me, I don’t endorse a ‘one size fits all’ approach as we all have different priorities!

Personally I would endorse going with the cheapest compatible tariff from any provider willing to supply our meter type (taking into account green credentials if relevant/important to you), regardless of whether it is a dedicated ‘economy 10’ or ‘economy 7’ tariff. I am aware that not all suppliers provide full support (ie. repairs/meter change) to economy 10 meters and that this is relevant to some – however my reasoning for this is that there is always the option to switch again (to a supplier that provides full support) should I run into any difficulties further down the line – rather than approach the current provider which may not be able to help in these instances.

The supplier I would recommend as a ‘backup switch’ in the event of such difficulties is EDF. Their economy 10 tariff may not be the cheapest but it comes without exit fees; and as such it is always possible to switch again without penalty should a customer wish to. In completing the switching process myself I first had my economy 10 meter installed (replacing my old E7 meter) by EDF through switching to their Economy 10 tariff. The easiest way to do this was to call directly and have the company talk me through the process. After this point, I simply switched again to a cheaper tariff with another company. I plan to do something similar in the event of future problems with my meter. Ethically this is an individual decision – and I am aware of the ‘grey area’ this practice occupies – but I have my reasons – and each to their own!

So – in a nutshell, this is my top tip for maximising savings with E10 while having a backup option in case of meter problems – rather than compromising and sticking with a dedicated tariff from a ‘big six’ company – which may well guarantee your meter keeps ticking, but will also charge you through the nose for the privilege. Go for E7 through a compatible supplier….and reserve the right to switch again for maintenance reasons. Whether one chooses to switch back to the cheaper tariff again after that point is entirely down to personal preference…

The best of both worlds. Hope this makes sense!

Andrew

I’m so happy to have found this website! Desperate to switch from EDF on our E10 tariff following their hikes but no-one will give me a quote but now using this website I should be able to! I managed to get an E7 quote from Ovo for 16p for day and 7.4 for night, standing charges at 28.77 per meter. I have worked in utilities for 6 years and even I find it impossible to compare tariffs like for like with these meters so i’m unsure if that is a better deal or not as its so seasonal with our storage heaters. I will keep all informed with any other cheap quotes! I think OFGEM need to address this as i’m sure it contradicts Treating Customers Fairly legislation from the FSA…I will make a start my letter to the ombudsman 🙂

Michael
    Participant

Hey AA, good to see you got it all sorted and a nice tidy saving too

AA
    Participant

Stayed with SSE but switched to SSE one year fixed v11 today. Should save me around £125. Isupply or OVO could have saved me a further £40 based on my calculations but rather have the peace of mind of full E10 support.

Thanks for your help Michael.

Also they confirmed that you can switch to a different SSE tariff without incurring fees so if a better fixed deal comes out later in the year, there’s no issues.

AA
    Participant

Thanks Michael.

SSE one year fixed v11 looks pretty decent, must be new as it wasn’t mentioned as an option in my price rise letter in March! About £40 more expensive than Isupply for me, but with meter support I’ll probably go with that. Will check OVO first though.

Michael
    Participant

I think it varies between suppliers, some such as ovo are pretty clued up on e10 just from getting a quote from them myself, Isupply are one that wouldn’t be able to help as someone has mentioned this in here before, I couldn’t comment on others but yes those offering e10 tariffs are the ones that would offer you full support for your meter if you had any problems. I know ovo and sse have lowered their prices recently on a one year fix, SSE one year fixed v11 and ovo better energy online if that’s any use to anyone looking for a new provider? Good luck with your search AA keep us posted on how you get on and if you need any help just drop a message in here ????

AA
    Participant

Thanks Michael.

I guess only those that full support E10 would replace a broken meter? Will probably consider Green Energy UK as well if that’s the case and see how much difference there is in cost.

Michael
    Participant

Sorry forgot to mention, they charge e10 on the same tariffs as e7 meters they don’t have a specific e10 tariff. They would offer limited meter support i.e wouldn’t fit a new e10 meter or replace a e10 meter if faulty (most likely replace it with a e7 meter) but as it is very unlikely it’s worth it for the saving imo and you can always switch to another e10 provider and have the meter exchanged from e7 in the extremely unlikely event something like this happened. It’s personal choice. I’m saving £140 a year on a e7 tariff so personally I’ll take my chances and enjoy the money I save

Michael
    Participant

Yes, selecting the day/night meter type is fine when signing up with isupply, good luck with your switch and enjoy the saving ????

AA
    Participant

Thanks Michael. Do you just select day/ night or is there a specific economy 10 tariff? Day/ night is way cheaper than SSE economy 10 based on my last year usage!

Michael
    Participant

Hi AA

isupply don’t support two rate meters in the region shown (area 17 North Scotland) hence the reason it’s blank, they supply all other regions though and you can sign up on their website which is a plus as most suppliers you need to call and they oh and ahh as to weather they’ll take on your e10 meter

AA
    Participant

Hi. iSupplyEnergy’s information seems to be missing from the chart.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Daniel,

Good question! People have been contributing their information to the survey from across the country and I’m excited to see such a response.

Currently the only region with full coverage – ie a price for each supplier – is North Scotland (Region 17). This is the comparison that appears in the ‘latest price survey’ blog post (http://economy10.com/2017/05/18/cheapest-economy-10-prices-may17/).

If enough people contribute quotes for suppliers from other regions then I’ll be able to include a specific comparison for those regions. In the meantime the Region 17 comparison should give you an indication of who’s likely to be cheapest in your region. Having said that, I’m aware different suppliers have different regional pricing strategies so it’s not always as straight-forward as this. For more info on regional pricing see this blog post (http://economy10.com/2017/05/12/edf-20-25-price-hike-comparison-with-isupply-energy-regional-pricing/).

Cheers,
    Mark

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.